Monday 6 July 2015

5 Things My Hair Taught Me

Another Monday morning has come and gone.
And if you're like me, you engaged in some introspection to take you through the week.
One of the things I thought about today, is just how much I have learnt about myself and life through my healthy hair journey.



1. Patience - This is one of the most uttered fact on any "how to grow your hair long" list. Watch any YouTube video and you'll find this neatly tucked somewhere in it. But patience is not only necessary in a hair journey, but in a life's journey as well. I read recently somewhere that "worrying is like praying for something you don't want". These days I just do what I need to do, be patient and let it take care of itself, both with my hair and all the other aspects of my life.


2. Discipline and consistency - We all know that doing something that benefits our hair only once in a while won't cut it. Ain't nobody ever got long healthy hair on a hair journey doing that! We've got to be disciplined and remain consistent to see any kind of positive results. That's kinda how it is in life too. Whenever we half-ass stuff we tend not to get the desired results and certainly we never see our full potential that way.


3. To take matters into my own hands - How many of us had shoulder length hair that stayed there for years and years and we just kept going to the same stylist and executing the same routine to no avail? Then one day, we decide to do it ourselves, and that's when we see change. That was definitely me! I had  shoulder length hair for years and when I decided to educate myself on the matter and make things happen, that's when the script flipped on its head. This holds true for my entire life.


4.To be healthy & fit - Although I've had a gym membership since I was around 16, I gained a better appreciation for health over the last few years. I utter the phrase "healthy hair comes from a healthy body" all the time. But what is a healthy body? Is it one that hits the gym a few times per week? Certainly not. Health is overall well-being - mind, body and spirit. I have definitely being experiencing some new heights and depths in my health these days and I'm loving it.


5. That anything is possible - I save this for last as to me, it is truly thee most important. Once upon a time we genuinely thought that afro-textured hair was and would forever be stuck at a certain length. However, these days we know enough to know that the opposite is the truth. If we invest time, energy and effort into our hair, it grows beyond our wildest dreams. Can you imagine how many things in life we feel the same way about right now? "No way, that's impossible", "I'm big-boned", "I'll forever be in debt" are a few of the things we find ourselves uttering, for some occasionally, for others every day. But what we need to remember is absolutely everything that the mind conceives, we can achieve if we eliminate our resistance to it. In the words of Nelson Mandela, "It always seems impossible till its done".





Have a great week.

4 comments :

  1. Nice post Abbi, I like what you did here. ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT!!! Totally inspirational chica!

    My hair has definitely taught me patience!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were it not for Patience I would be bald RIGHT now! I had a nightmare wash experience 2 weeks ago from an ayurvedic treatment gone bad. Took me a whole entire day to detangle my hair strand by strand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey enormous stuff or pleasant information you are offering here.
    http://waist-trainer.org/ann-chery-corsets-review

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?

share: