Thursday 27 February 2014

Taking Care of your Hair while Living in a Foreign Country

You want to go/ or are already on a healthy hair journey, but you are living in a foreign country where the resources aren't readily available. It's hard to find a stylist, products and even support to assist you on this voyage. I get it! I live it! It's definitely hard, and can even seem frustrating at times. Your hair buddy in the USA or UK has access to a slew of products and gagdets and you have to make do with zero, zip, zilch, nada. Look at the bright side though, you won't waste as much money trying something that you happen across in a beauty supplies store, because well, you probably won't happen across much lol


Anyway, here are some tips to make your life a little easier...

1. Order online, but do so in bulk. That is, skip the indiviual purchases with the hefty shipping tag. Order a range of products at once and save on shipping. Additionally, buy products from which you can get multiple uses. For example, in the past, I have used Aubrey's Honeysuckle rose for pre-pooing, DCing, and M&Sing. Check out this post for more on how to get the most from your products. Also, if you are just moving, or if you are going on holiday, stock up!!! it really helps.

2. For my girls who live in a country that speaks a totally foreign language, who pop into the 'beauty supplies store' and leave with nothing because you don't know what anything is much less what it contains, not to worry, just bring a friend along. My girl Kaori loves shopping just as much a I do and she knows what everything is! Let your friend tag along to help you pick out the bomb.com products.

3. Which brings me to my next point - find out what the locals are using. For example, the Japanese have a booming beauty industry that includes products that can definitely be used in my regimen. Jamaicans too, have native products that may benefit your hair. Also, the Indian ayurvedic hair care practices have helped many a voyager to have a successful hair journey. Find out what the country you are living in has to offer. You may be surprised at what you discover.

4. Go the natural route - back away from the scissors, I don't mean chop all your hair off and go natural. (Of course that's also an option.) Instead, use more natural products that are available everywhere, in your regimen. Such products include oils (EVOO, grapeseed, avocado etc), honey, ACV, or even eggs, yogurt, and mayonnaise (yes, the very same one you dollop onto your sandwiches). Just the other day I used only products from my kitchen to make a decadent masque for my hair (which I loved).

5. Finding a stylist may be difficult or even impossible. Become a DIYer. First, arm yourself with the information and knowledge about how to properly care for your hair. I do everything from relaxing, to washing, to protective styling, to straightening. You can do it too if you acquire the pertinent knowledge and practice hard. Blogs, forums, and youtube videos contain a wealth of knowledge that you can take advantage of when on a hair journey, do so!

6. Finally, keep it simple! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you really only need the four pillars in your regimen: cleansing, conditioning, styling and maintaining. You can achieve and maintain healthy, long, beautiful hair with only a few products. Keep it minimal and keep your hair and your pocket happy.


Anything you'd like to add? Share them below and let's help each other



6 comments :

  1. I agree with #1. When I travel I like to take products that have more than one function. I wouldn't take too many things because of weight but try to embrace the local products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on going the natural route. You can never go wrong.

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post. I started my HHJ in a foreign country and things were thick I tell you. I became a DIY-er coz of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I have always been a partial DIYer, I just advanced my practices when I got here lol

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: