Thursday 23 January 2014

Put a Sock in it! - DIY sock donut

In line with my current protective styling stint, I am featuring a gadget that may just take your PSing to the next level! It's no question that the bun is one of, if not THE most popular protective style. It is versatile, easy and can be done on hair in a variety of states. There are elegant low buns, fun top buns, messy buns, big buns, small ones...the list goes on and on.

But what if my hair alone just doesn't get me the results I desire when bunning?
Well, that's why we're here grasshopper! There is a gadget on the market that is designed to give you full beautiful buns every time. Enter the "Soft 'N Style Hair Donut ". You simply make a ponytail, then add the donut to your hair and have it sit on the ponytail holder. That is, the ponytail is pulled through the donut.

That's a great idea, but the Soft 'N Style Hair Donut doesn't look so soft to me, it may very well snag my hair. Are there any alternatives?
Ahh grasshopper, you ask all the right questions. Let me show you how to create a donut by using only a pair of socks and scissors.


How to:
  1. Make a cross-sectional cut through the sock where the toes are intended to be
  2. Roll sock onto itself until it forms a donut
  3. If the donut is too small, repeat step one
  4. Roll the second sock onto the first sock donut adding to the volume


Wow that looks super easy and I think it remedies the snagging issue, but I think the cotton material will dry my hair out.
That's true grasshopper, but that's an easy fix! All you need is a strip of satin material to fully cover your donut. Choose a starting point, then go through the donut and back out. Do ths until the donut is fully covered in satin.


Wow! what an awesome way to achieve fuller buns?! But what if my hair is not long enough to envelop this big donut?
My my grasshopper! Must I teach you everything? Just add a few tracks (of hair extension) to your ponytail before adding the donut.

Ahh, I see! Thank you!
My pleasure! I no longer use this tool, but it was really useful early on (when my hair was much shorter), so I'm passing it on to you. May it serve you well!


10 comments :

  1. LOL. You're so silly grasshopper! This is a lovely idea!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbi, you are a genius! I once made a donut but since I did not add the satin cloth, it dried out my hair so I did away with it. Thanks for pointing out where i went wrong.

    http://scarletgoal.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go THAT far lol Glad I could help!

      Delete
  3. i never thought to add satin to my hair donut.
    so smart.
    mine is store bought and stays pulling out strands.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?

share: