Friday 30 January 2015

My First 5k Race.

 
 
 
I ran my first 5K race on Sunday, January 25.
It was a lovely experience.
A friend of mine who does these races all the time, ran with me and acted as my pacer (Thanks Kamau!).
 
My goal for the race was to do it in less than 30 minutes, and my actual time was 29:22.
 
 
look how close us 3 were!

 
The fastest time was 16mins:07secs and the slowest was 1hr:13mins:14secs.



post-race - soaking wet but satisfied
 
I started training 4 weeks prior to the race.
My training included:
  • an open-air 5k run 2 times per week + abs directly after
  • an open-air hill sprint session once a week + abs
  • a treadmill 5k run twice per week
  • resistance training at the gym 2-3 times each week
    • 1st day - legs
    • 2nd day - upper body
    • 3rd day - full body (giant sets)
  • 1-2 rest days
 
On the morning of the race, I was a little ill and I almost didn't make it, but I didn't want to not run, so I armed myself with pain meds and was on my way.
 
Since the run was at 2pm, breakfast on the day was 6 bananas, a handful of grapes and some strawberries with a 1/2 litre of water. Had it been an early morning race, I would have gone on an empty stomach (as is recommended).
 
My hairstyle for the run (this is a hair blog right?! lol) was a simple top knot bun, which was great for keeping hair out of my face, nothing fancy.
 
 
All in all, It was a pleasant experience and as per my list of things to be accomplished in 2015, I have at least 2 more to participate in.


This post is just in time to be linked to other "Fit Friday" posts, so check them out if you haven't yet had your fill.
 
 
See you on the trails.
Ciao!
 
 

9 comments :

  1. congrats girl....... I still have 10 minutes to shave off my time before I attempt a 5k this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GET IT!!! I love the simplicity of your training schedule. Can you share more about your resistance training?

    Thanks for joining the #fitnessfriday movement!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  3. You entirely go with our expectation and the range of our information.
    http://waist-trainer.org/ann-chery-corsets-review/

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?

share: