Monday 11 November 2013

Underneath it All - Protective Styling (Wig) Regimen

One of the things I love most about wigs for protective styling is the fact that I have access to my hair. I am still very much able to execute my hair care routine while protective styling with them, unlike with sew-ins and to some degree braids.

Current protective stlye

This is a rundown of my routine during the periods I spend wearing wigs.

  • Pre-poo - I do this once or twice each week with conditioners and/ or oils for about an hour.

  • Shampoo - every week or every other week depending on my hair needs. During this time, I am automatically inclined to use less product and the ones I do use are on the natural side like natural oils or conditioners without cones. Therefore, I evade product build-up, causing me to shampoo less frequently.

  • Deep condition - My normal routine would usually take this form - pre-poo->shampoo->deep condition, but since I often skip the shampoo step, there really isn't a need for the deep conditioning process, since the pre-poo (consisting of the same ingredients I'd use to DC) serves the same purpose. I simply seal my pre-poo DC with a regular conditioner, rinse and go.

  • Leave-ins - Tresseme moisture rich (rinse out) conditioner or none at all

  • M&S - I tend to do this once or twice a day, using water (or a water + aloe vera juice spritz), conditioner (regular or deep), and oil, in a way that resembles the LCO  method of moisturizing hair.

  • Baggy/ GHE - Since learning about the benefits of this, I have decided it will be a part of my regimen, but for some reason when my hair is loose I don't do it as often. When my hair is braided however, I do it at least 3 or 4 times each week, which is great as it keeps my hair moisturized (awesome in this weather) while acting as a growth aid.


One more thing, I learnt this trick from SistaWithRealHair. I saturate my ending braid with oil and then wrap it in cling film to keep it super moisturized until the next wash. I just use a bobby pin to secure it for the week.



Also, for the last few times that I have protective styled, I have passed on wig caps as I don't think they do my hair any good.

That's it!! I love how easy taking care of my hair is when I'm wearing wigs for a protective style. My wash weekend day routine takes very little time since there is no detangling, drying, styling etc for me to worry about. It's great.

Do you use wigs for protective styling? How do you care for your hair beneath?

XOXO,
Abbi

9 comments :

  1. wait - pause!
    that's a wig?
    i've always wanted to try a wig to give my leave out a break but they always look so "wiggy" to me.
    so, right now my protective style of choice is a u-part wig.
    and, i'll admit, i'm terrible at caring for my hair underneath - i put leave in treatment and then pretty much neglect it until my next wash (usually every other week) *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes maaam!
      You should give it a try. These days there are many options available to avoid the wiggy look.
      noooo! lol leave your hair alone, but don't neglect it. It's super easy, if you don't want to do too much, just moisturize every few days ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hey There I've never tried a wig but have a clip in faux bun :) Does your wig ever come loose and if so what is your technique for securing wigs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I've never had a problem with wigs coming loose. The ones I've had so far have all had adjustable straps and combs. I simply set the straps to a notch that keeps it snug on my head and use the combs to secure a little more. If you aren't confident with only the above, try a few bobby pins and/ or a headband for some extra security.

      Delete
  3. I loѵed as muuch as you will rreceive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bօught an nervousјess
    over that you ish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further
    formerlу agin as exactly the same neɑгly a lot often іnside case you shield this increase.


    Heгe is myy weblo - berry thin green coffee bean and garcinia cambogia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd purely tell you all “awesome information”
    Full article

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Abbi! Would you please tell me where you purchased the wig that you are wearing in the above photo! Its gorgeous without that " fake" look! I Love it!!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thanks for sharing great information!!
    If you are looking for something to temporarily lengthen your hair or add in some faux highlights, tape in hair extensions can be the best option as they are not permanent and are relatively simple to put in. Tape-in hair extensions are a quick and easy method that results in a very natural look. No one can imagine that you are wearing any extensions.




    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?

share: