Sunday 6 October 2013

Operation Moisture - Deep Conditioner Mix

So as I said before, I am taking some steps to combat my dry, seemingly protein-overloaded hair. Read more in this post. I am making some changes to a few steps, one of which is my deep conditioning session. I have eliminated the proteins from this step and amped up the moisture. Here's how it went down this past weekend.

moisturizing deep conditioner mix


My deep conditioner of choice was Aubrey's Honey Suckle Rose, which is pretty much the only one I'll be using for the duration of operation moisture. I just ordered back-ups from iHerb. I love this site as it is reasonable and there are many discounts. (If you wish to order, you can use my discount code: IWU668 and get up to 10% off). Anyway, I added water, castor and jojoba oil, as well as tea tree, peppermint, and rosemary oils to the mix. I also included some vegetable glycerin as it is not yet cold and dry in Japan.

I whisked this mixture into a light consistency and applied it throughout my head (scalp and cornrows). I then, donned my plastic cap, a scarf and a twisty-turby for added heat and went to bed. The next day I rinse the mixture from my hair and let it air dry. At bed time, I prepared for the GHE by adding some moisturizer (diluted Aubrey' Honeysuckle Rose + water) and sealed with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). After which I put on my plastic cap and secured it with a scarf.

It's been about a week since I started my quest to conquer the dryness and I haven't seen any real changes but I'll stick with it and I'm sure a change gon' come.

Am I the only one dealing with persistent dryness? Let a girl know!

XOXO,
Abbi 

7 comments :

  1. good luck! I dealt with an overload about a year ago and it wasn't fun. I'm still recovering the thickness of my ends back. the good thing about it was that it left me with a lot of experience. my breakage has stayed to a minimum as I understand better how to keep my hair's health stable. I posted about how I conquered protein overload and how to analyze what's wrong with your hair in detail. hope your hair gets better soon!

    http://pocahontas-secrets.blogspot.com/2013/03/conquering-protein-overload.html

    http://pocahontas-secrets.blogspot.com/2013/03/hair-symptons.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a lot of what you're doing already looks right on track, though. : )

      Delete
    2. Thanks Yahya! Those posts are really helpful. 2 questions though: 1) How long did it take you to see a difference in your hair re protein overload and how long before it totally recovered? 2) I saw that you used Queen Helene Cholesterol during the recovery process, but I read that it has some protein, what say you about this? Thanks again, you're awesome.
      XOXO

      Delete
    3. my protein overload was probably the highest level of overload you can get! once I had this regimen established my overload went away little by little everyday, I think my hair went to perfect balance after about 3 weeks. and I checked to make sure and queen helene doesn't have proteins, they have the ingredients on sally beauty's site. maybe the person who wrote that was thinking of silk element's cholesterol treatment.

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much for your response Yahya. Mine must be pretty bad lol no real change yet. Anywhoo, I read this article (http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.jp/2009/07/what-is-cholesterol-conditioner.html) by Traycee which said that "Yes cholesterol conditioners contain protein", but after further research and like you said, some do and some don't. Well, I suppose now I can reintroduce it into my regimen. Thanks girl!

      Delete
  2. I stopped using protein leave-ins (Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer, Chi Keratin Mist, etc) about a year ago because I just shouldn't seem to shake that dry, brittle feeling post wash. After a few weeks, my hair felt better. Then I started using heat with my deep conditioners---that's what brought my hair to life honey! Now, I wouldn't be caught dead without deep conditioning at least once a week with heat. I love the sound of your OP-Moist mix! Kitchenista mash ups always make it smile!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here KLP! Deep conditioning with heat every week is a must for me! I can't wait to get rid of the dryness I'm experiencing...it's long overdue! I'll keep the kitchenista mash ups coming! lol Yours sound pretty great too, they are on my "to try" list lol

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: