Tuesday 22 October 2013

Bendy, Straight or Somewhere in Between - Hair Typing

There are a number of means by which one can classify her hair type by scrutinizing the diameter of the strand and how tight or loose the curl is. There are various systems, charts, and guides. Check out some of the examples below.










Many people seem to really be into this hair typing stuff but I really have no interest *Kanye shrug*. I mean what is the point of it anyway. I can understand wanting to know if you have thick or fine hair so that you can use suitable products, but do you really need a system to do that? Also what's the point of knowing the curl pattern you have particularly when you are a relaxed head? For naturals, it's right there in front of them, no need to try and figure all that out.

Additionally, persons in the healthy hair sphere always stress that "no two heads are the same", "you should get to know what your hair likes" and "listen to your hair, it'll tell you what it needs". So why then box us into groups implying that what a 4C hairlista does will work for another, but go ahead and skip the 3C hair insights?

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, that's not at all my intention. It's just the way I look at it.


Am I the only one who doesn't subscribe to this way of thinking about hair?
Also if you do think it is a useful system, please share your reason.


XOXO, 
Abbi

6 comments :

  1. Excellent post chica! Everyone in search of healthier hair has to start somewhere; perhaps hair typing is that place for some people. Every head is different because we all have different attitudes about, expectations for, and patience with our hair. Whilst, I really could care less what 3a-5z-semi-oval-coil I have, it's important to others because it gives them the ability to relate. So I say---"Do what floats your boat. But don't forget that you know how you swim." Meaning---you can use hair typing to start---but by no means are you confined to it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP. I agree that persons just starting out and even those with more experience can use others as a guide. I too, have someone I consider my 'hair twin' but I have no idea what her curl pattern is (she is relaxed obviously). I just observed how her hair is in different states and how it responds to certain products. Thanks for your insight.

      Delete
  2. to be honest, these charts confuse me more than anything.
    i have many different hair textures - even on one strand, the texture seems to change.
    so, i can never figure out which particular hair type i am, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol and here I was thinking I'm the only one!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you! Just because a group of people have 4c hair doesn't mean our hair will love the same products! Great Post!

    -Courtnea @Finally Growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true there are many more factors that come into play.Thanks Court!

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: