Saturday 14 September 2013

Turn on the Heat... Again - Indirect Heat Styling





What is it? 

Indirect heat styling involves using tools to create a hairstyle without exposing the strands directly to heat, making it less vulnerable to heat damage. A very popular tool for this is the hooded dryer which is usually accompanied by a wrapping or roller setting. Roller setting is able to produce gorgeous curls, but take it a step further and straight hair is yours. Thus it is a valid alternative to blow drying and/ or flat-ironingUp until recently, I had not bothered with roller-setting. I did it when I was younger but thought it was somewhat out-dated... boy was I wrong!! When I decided to give it another go, I was pleasantly surprised by the results, and needless to say, it has become a staple in my "enjoy that hair" periods. 


Cautions

  • As with other means of heat styling, use your heat protectant!
  • This method necessitates that the hair is properly detangled, do so with care. 
  • Use medium heat when utilizing the hooded dryer to dry your hair. 



How I do it! 


As usual, I carry out my wash day routine. For this method of styling I use a creamy leave-in and air-dry until about 70%. I detangle with a wide-tooth comb, then a medium tooth comb. I create a section going down the middle of my head, then I create small sub-sections. I spray these sections with water or setting liquid, then I detangle with a fine-tooth comb. I pull the hair taut then begin rolling my hair onto the roller. I repeat this process around my entire head. I then spray heat protectant onto the hair that's already been roller set. I sometimes carry on with my daily activities with the rollers in, as a form of air drying, (this shortens the length of time during which I will sit under the hooded dryer). Next I move to the dryer. When the hair is dry, I remove the rollers to reveal beautiful curly hair. If however, I wish to rock a straighter style, I simply wrap my hair, adding some moisturizer and/or a little oil, then a layer of cling wrap around my head. I return to the hooded dryer for 15-20 minutes. Upon unwrapping the hair, I will be wearing a straighter, slicker style. 


roller-sets freshly removed


After some gentle manipulation


saran wrap method for length check


How do you Turn on the Heat? Let me know down below. 

XOXO, 
Abbi

3 comments :

  1. Your hair is so pretty, I can't stand i! :) I haven't saran wrapped my hair after a roller set in ages. May be trying it again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadege! Means a lot coming from you. The Saran wrap serves it's purpose, but most times we don't even need to go that far, roller-setting alone gives great results. But I'd love to see the outcome if you do try it again.

      Delete
  2. It is nice post and I found some interesting information on this blog, keep it up. Thanks for sharing.


    Styling Spray

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?

share: