Sunday 8 September 2013

Take it to the Shower - Shampooing



What is it? 

There are many ways to cleanse your hair. Shampoos are the most popular. However, some shampoos, particularly those containing sulfates, the harshest of which is sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), can prove detrimental to your resolve to grow your hair long. As we have become more knowledgeable about the ill-effects of traditional shampoos on black hair, we have been making use of more suitable ways of cleansing it. The way in which we do this ranges from sulfate-free shampoos, and cleansing conditioners, to more natural products like ACV (apple cider vinegar) and clays such as bentonite. 

Why is cleansing necessary?


It is important to remove from your hair and scalp, dirt, excess oil, and product which have accumulated there. A clean scalp allows strands to emerge easily from it and can provide relief from issues such as dandruff, and clean hair is more receptive to products applied as they will be better absorbed and adsorped. 

How often should you cleanse? 

You may be tired of hearing this, but every head is different. Some wash every week, while others can go 4 weeks without washing. During your hair journey, trial and error and listening to your own hair are two vital actions. 

How I do it! 

ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo//
Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Shampoo//Applicator bottle


After I have detangled and pre-pooed my hair, I proceed to wash. Typically I use a sulfate-free shampoo, however I do utilize a clarifying shampoo about once a month which unfortunately has sulfates. Currently this shampoo is ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo (which I'm in love with). Additionally, If my hair isn't in need of of a shampoo wash that week, I'll do a co-wash instead. I put my shampoo of the day into an applicator bottle, applying it to my scalp. I scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers (not my fingernails) to loosen-up any unwanted build-up while holding the length of my hair. I let it sit for 3-5 minutes then rinse, letting the suds run down my strands, cleansing as they go. I only apply shampoo to my hair once per session and I NEVER pile my hair on top of my head and go wild like the girls in those misleading shampoo commercials, as this causes tangles and "ain't nobody got time fo' dat!" 

Thanks for reading. Come back for my next post on Deep conditioning.

XOXO,
Abbi

1 comment :

  1. It's amazing for me to have a web site, which is beneficial for my
    know-how. thanks admin

    Also visit my webpage; Christian Louboutin Pumps

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?

share: