Tuesday 24 September 2013

Lala-lala-laa Warm it up - Hot Oil Treaments



I love a good hot oil treatment! It gives me the feeling of a hot cup of cocoa of a cold winter day! It has been a part of my regimen since the start. However, I do it sporadically (mostly during the colder months), which I need to change and make it a regularly scheduled event even when it's warm.


What's it it?


As the name suggests, it is oil which is heated and applied to the hair. This technique serves very well as a pre-poo treatment.

What's in it?

One can use any natural oil or a combination of oils for this process. Carrier oils such as extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), castor oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil among others are typically used in this process. However, to kick it up a notch, you can also add various essential oils to your mix. The oils you choose should be based on your hair needs. For instance, coconut oil can be used by those with dry scalp as it conditions the scalp and can help eliminate dandruff. While olive oil may be the preferred oil for those with dry hair as it is a penetrating oil, thus very moisturizing.

Still, there are other ingredients we can add like herbs and spices. I personally don't go this route, but there are persons who do so with much success.

How I do it!

Typically my oil blend makes use of EVOO as a base, since my hair can always do with some moisture. I'd say this is my biggest hair issue. I also add oils like jojoba, henna, avocado, castor, grapeseed, and coconut oil to the mix. I usually reserve my essentail oils for my deep conditioning treament. Check out this post to get a glimpse of my favorite oils.

The steps:

I section my hair into 4, detangling each section then pinning it up. I combine my oils in a squirt bottle and let it sit in very hot water for a few minutes. I test to ensure the heat is bearable by squirting a few drops on my hand then I proceed to apply it to my hair. Working in sections, I use the applicator bottle to apply my hot oil to my scalp, after which I apply it to the ends and then the length of my hair. When I have applied it to all four sections, I gently massage and run my fingers through my hair ensuring even distribution. Finally, I cover with a plastic cap and sit under my hooded dryer for a minimum of 30 minutes. Sometimes however, after covering with a plastic cap, I cover with a twisty-turby and go to bed, making my hot oil treatment an all night affair. Hot oil treatments usually serve as my pre-poo. They really do prepare my hair for the wash process and my hair is always left smiling.

Do you do hot oil treatments? What are they like? Go on, share!

XOXO,
Abbi

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?

share: